Degenerative disease of knee joint that affects the articular cartilage of knee joint leading to varying level of pain, stiffness and functional difficulties.
- generally, it occurs in elderly people but now, it is not uncommon in the younger population.
- Pain in the knee joint and lower thigh is the commonest feature.
- Variable degree of swelling in and around knee joint may be present.
- Stiffness and pain in knee joint before starting an activity after period of rest or in the morning.
- Later, due to the damaged joint cartilage, pain occurs more severely after an activity like stair climbing, or running/ standing for longer duration.
- Further, it may leads to completely extend (straighten) the knee joint.
- Crepitus or creaking sound on moving the knee joint may be present.
When to consult a Physiotherapist
- Any pain of sudden/ or slow onset in and around knee joint without any recent history of trauma.
- Pain and stiffness in knee while getting up from the bed.
- Pain in knee while sitting cross- legged, climbing stair or walking/ standing for long duration.
- Felt creaking sound/ crepitus in knee joint while moving the knee joint.
- Physician/ or orthopedician has confirmed the diagnosis of osteoarthritis of knee joint.